Spaghetti Squash is a great alternative to… you guessed it, spaghetti!
It has far fewer calories per cup, 31 as opposed to 221, With the butter adding only about 10-20 calories per portion.
It can be used in place of spaghetti in any recipe that uses it, eg. spaghetti squash Bolognese. It is also great to be eaten as is, which is why I add seasonings to this recipe.
Like my Rutabaga Fries these are a great way to fix your cravings while staying low carb/calorie. These are both staples in my house now.
Hope you enjoy.
Healthy alternative to spaghetti
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 average sized Spaghetti Squash
- A few shavings of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other herbs of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out middle (watch video for hack on halving)
- Butter cut sides of squash, and place cut down onto a lined baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes, if strands do not form easily when stroked with a fork return for 5 minutes at a time. Be careful not to overcook so it does not turn mushy. Small squash may require only 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to stand and cool a few minutes before using a fork to tease apart all the strands into a bowl.
- While it is still warm add a few shavings of butter, add seasonings and stir.